Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chinese Scallion Pancakes


I needed a break from sweet things.


So I made pancakes, Asian-style.


Super flaky and crispy ones, almost like flatbread.  


And then demolished them all.


Try it.

Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Adapted from use real butter

2 cups plain flour
1/2-3/4 cup warm water
5-6 stalks spring onions/scallions, chopped
Oil
Salt

In a bowl, place the flour and make a hole in the center.  Pour 1/2 cup of water into the hole and stir the mixture together with a spoon (or your hands, if you're feeling chef-y) until the mixture comes together.  Add more water if you feel that the dough is too dry - it's better to add more flour later to a wet dough than more water to a dry one.

Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough inside to rest for 30 minutes.

Once it's rested, divide the dough into 6 even pieces.  Roll each one into a ball and then roll out flat with a rolling pin as thin as you can get it. Brush the surface of the dough with about a teaspoon of oil, sprinkle on a bit of table salt and then scatter about 2 tablespoons of chopped spring onions on top and roll it up like a crepe.  Then turn it on its side and roll it into a snail/spiral shape (see images above in post).  Tuck the end underneath the spiral and then roll out again with the rolling pin until flat; be careful, oil might squirt out at you.

When you're working on your last pancake, heat up a little bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancakes until brown and crisp on each side, about 3-4 minutes.  Eat it hot.

4 comments :

  1. You will not believe, I was looking for this recipe. I ate them recently at a neighnourhood restaurant and loved them. Your's look droolworthy! Thank you for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great minds think alike! Thanks for dropping by, I hope you make them :)

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I made these pancakes yesterday. Mostly for my daughter as she loves scallions but all of us really enjoyed them. I was wondering if they should be served with some sort of dipping sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie, I'm glad that these worked out for you! I usually eat these plain, but I have seen it served before in restaurants with a soy sauce dip, something like this: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dipping-sauce-for-scallion-pancakes-recipe

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Comments make my day, so please leave a little happiness for me!